The original architects who led this building project were ‘Hennessy, Hennessy & Co’, a pioneering father and son 19th century architectural firm of John Francis (Jack) Hennessy Snr. and John Francis (Jack) Hennessy Jnr. The family originated from Cork, Ireland. The HENNESSY Rooftop Bar is named after these original architects, and opened within the Mayfair Hotel in December 2015.
The Adelaide building was constructed in two stages: the first building facing King William Street was completed in 1934 and the adjoining building facing Hindley Street in 1936.

Created in what was described as ‘a colourful interpretation of the Romanesque Style,’ the building’s unusual design, lead by Hennessy, Hennessy & Co. The design features include: the early use of artificial stone (know as Benedict Stone), deeply pitched roman tiled mansard roofs, an ornately detailed lift tower, parapeted façades and projecting gargoyles and flagpoles.

The building’s external form was added to the State Heritage Register on April 5, 1984.

Image courtesy of State Records of South Australia’s collection reference SRSA GRG35/342/GN5616

Mayfair careers

Looking for a career with the Mayfair Hotel, Adelaide’s leading Boutique Hotel? View and to apply for all vacancies through SEEK using the link below.

To submit an Expression of Interest for other positions at the Mayfair Hotel, please e-mail a PDF of cover letter and resume using the link below

We look forward to hearing from you.

Previous
Next
Image
Image
Image

What’s on

There’s always things to do at Mayfair Hotel – from new menu announcements to roof-top experiences.